Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Blogs in Education

I have been following two blogs that talk about incorporating technology into education. One of them is http://www.digitalchalkie.com/. This one talks about new technologies and how they are reshaping how society communicates. One post, Email is for Old People, talks about how email has served us well over the last 20 or so years, but there have been so many advances in communicative technology that it is time to try something new. The theme of this blog remains the same throughout the posts. The blogger has communicated effectively with the audience because they write on a level that people can understand. They don't try to treat you like you are stupid, but they don't try to talk over your head, either. There are comments on this blog that, for the most part, agree with the blogger. They talk about how people need to "get with the times" and switch to more modern ways of communicating rather than email. One commenter, however, disagreed with the blogger and insisted that email is still a resourceful tool in education. This made me take a second look at the blog.
The second blog I have been following can be found at http://www.techsavvyed.net/. This blog discusses the way a teacher uses blogging to teach his students. He uses different story problems and maps and things like that to get his students involved. The blogger uses the same theme on every post. The blogger has communicated effectively with the audience. They use clear language and examples. There were no comments for me to read. I will not be using blogs in my teaching. This is the first time I have used blogging in my learning, and I have found it to be a very interesting experience. It has its pros and cons, just like everything else. I just feel as though there are more effective ways to get a message across. I do not believe this to be an effective teaching tool, however, I am open to change and would like to do more research on this before I make a decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment